Monday 20 February 2012

First SSS or, in my case, SMS!

I've been hearing a lot about the SSS and was dreading it coming along but instead of coming up with excuses to skip the first one due to a whole load of commitments that made training time too short .... I promised myself it'd just have to wait until Monday and I'd do it today! Erm ..... good and bad things going on ...

I had a nightmare weekend, packed full of Red Flags and the final score was AMANDA 0; RED FLAGS 25 ... or something similar (although if the flags had won by 25 cals I'd be dancing right now! Unfortunately, that wasn't the case!

After a blow-out yesterday (Sunday), I was of course sluggish and grumpy this morning as result of lack of real nutrition so I definitely didn't feel like going to the gym, but I'm chuffed enough that I sucked it up and trundled (rather than jogged lol) there with my SSS workout notes well in hand.

How did it go? It was interesting, although not quite the results I expected. At least now, though, I know what to expect. I was quite excited about reaching 1000 calorie burn, but never made it. Of course, once I got home, I saw Mish's video saying it was quite OK to add on cardio at the end to make up the calorie-burn!! At least that helped me not feel like a complete failure (I thought I probably hadn't worked hard enough or something)! So now I know that everyone is not expected to burn 1000 cals doing the double circuits. Lesson No. 1.  Yes, I'd thought of doing some more cardio, but to be honest I just didn't have the time.

The time thing was another lesson I learned today. It took me 2 hours to do the SSS and it shouldn't have taken so long. I think this was why I didn't burn quite as many calories as I'd hoped - because I had so many enforced breaks as I waited for gym machines to become free and/or it took me extra time to reset weights.

So this first big sesh was interesting in terms of learning, too!! Now I know how to organise myself better for future big sessions:

1.  Type out the workout with alternative sequences and/or exercises so that at no point will I need to stand still waiting for machines to come free
2.  Leave plenty of time to burn the extra cals on cardio machines at the end
3.  Just go for it and make sure there's nothing left at the end

1 comment:

  1. I just replied to your post on the forums about your SMS. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I had some of the same doubts and difficulties, particularly not going from one exercise to another smoothly and not burning the full 1000 during the session. It can only get better, yeah?

    ReplyDelete